Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Dr. Who Saves the Enterprise

I don't make a big deal out of the fact that I am able to travel back and forth in time.  Most people find my stories implausible.  The ones who do believe me sometimes ask which of "The Doctors" I am but acknowledge that the ability to bounce around and alter time lines makes it an irrelevant question.

In the 1970s I was kept pretty busy.  It was a crummy decade and I did what I could.  Sorry about Pet Rocks and Disco, I tried, oh how I tried.  But there is one success story that I feel I should share.

After the Apollo program NASA was in a real funk.  The Space Shuttle program was teetering on the brink of cancellation.  I mean, it was cool but really less useful than cheaper unmanned vehicles.  

The truth can now be told.  I organized the letter writing campaign that got the prototype shuttle named "Enterprise".  And once we got "most" of the cast of the original series to show up for that roll out ceremony in 1976 the survival of the program was assured by a great tide of public affection.  Ah, good times.



I'm there of course.  I wanted to share the moment without stealing the spotlight.  



That's me standing behind George and Nikky.  Here's another photo of me from about the same time, as if time really has any relevance for the owner of a TARDIS tricked out to resemble a simple garden shed.



Bill Shatner of course didn't show.  What a putz.  You can be sure I remembered that incident when I wrote it into the screenplay for Galaxy Quest 23 relative years later.

1 comment:

Jeb Texas said...

Still giggling. Awesome shot of the Enterprise! Thanks for your time-traveling work on the future, Professor.